We’ve adopted and adapted a Launch Team Contract from the Redeemer Church Planting Manual. So here’s what we’re handing to each of the folks that are considering locking arms with us.
There are few things as significant as starting a new church. Our prayer is that God would plant 7 Mile Road for the sake of Philadelphia and to be a catalyst for a movement of church plants across the country. Locally, we long for God to redeem the city of Philadelphia and for Him to use us to that end. At the core, the call of God on 7 Mile Road is to see people who do not know Jesus come to a saving knowledge of Him.
How can I be involved at this point?
Beginning in October, we will meet regularly as a group, probably on Sunday nights. We will get to know one another and ask God to bring unity and shape us into a team. For one, we will seek the Lord together in prayer. We will spend time talking about the values of 7 Mile Road and the DNA of the church. We will discuss how these values can become reality. We will brainstorm about what makes Philadelphia’s population unique and how we might best love and serve our city. Out of this season together, we will seek the Lord about how we as a team could make the greatest impact for Jesus in Philadelphia.
What kind of commitment is desired?
At this point, the commitment is not joining a new church or even agreeing to be a part of 7 Mile Road long-term. Rather, the commitment is to be a part of the initial launch team. I would love to see an initial commitment of at least 5 months to the following:
- To pray regularly and persistently for the city of Philadelphia and for the launch team of 7 Mile Road Church.
- To connect with and build relationships with people who don’t know Jesus. To pray for them and be involved in their lives in ways that might serve to lead them to Christ.
- To maintain a consistent walk with Jesus.
- To work towards the vision of 7 Mile Road
- To love, unite with, and serve others on the Launch Team.
- To give faithfully to the ministry as you are able. (All giving is tax deductible)
After 5 months or so, as God allows, 7 Mile Road will be further along and you will have a chance to better evaluate whether you desire to continue long term. If so, great! If not, you can know that God allowed you to help begin a new evangelical witness in Philadelphia.
This commitment is not about a written contract or something engraved in stone, but simply an understanding of what we are about together.