As we continue The Gospel According to Exodus, this week we preached on Slavery & Death from Exodus 1:15-22 specifically considering abortion. Needless to say, it is a difficult subject to consider. Hopefully, we approached it, like Jesus, full of grace and truth. Here are some questions for you and/or your SoulCare Community to work through in applying the text.
1. Why is abortion such a divisive issue? What do you think about abortion and how did you get there?
2. What do the Scriptures have to say about unborn children and the life in the womb? What texts speak to this?
3. What do the Scriptures have to say to someone who had or participated in an abortion? Do you know someone that needs the grace of Jesus concerning this particular issue?
4. Why is holding a ‘pro-life’ position not enough? Consider Exodus 1:17-21, Proverbs 24:11-12, Psalm 8:3-4, James 1:27.
5. In Exodus 1, we see the enemy of God oppressing people through slavery and death. Thousands of years later, there are more slaves and more killing of infants than any time in human history. How can you, your SoulCare Community, and our church work against slavery and death in our day?
Additional Resources: Great resources to promote further learning, thinking, and action.
Abort73.com: A website with a wealth of information and resources.
Abortion: A book by R.C. Sproul which offers a rational look at an emotional issue.
Healing after Abortion: A booklet by David Powlison.
Teaching & Preaching from John Piper: A number of helpful sermons and articles on abortion.
Centers in our area that assist pregnant women and new moms
Alpha Pregnancy Services: An agency that offers help and hope to women and families facing pregnancy or related concerns located in Philadelphia.
Cradle of Hope: A home for single mothers and children which offers housing and support services for mothers and children for up to 18 months in the Philadelphia area. Cradle of Hope is located in Montgomery County.
Hope Pregnancy Center: The mission of the Hope Center is to provide comprehensive life-affirming support, resources, and services in a safe environment to anyone facing an unplanned pregnancy, in need of healing from past pregnancy decisions, or seeking to make healthy sexual choices through responsible behavior.