As we continue The Gospel According to Exodus, this week we preached Bricks Without Straw from Exodus 5:1-6:9 . Here are some questions for you and/or your SoulCare Community to consider in applying the text.
1. Picture yourself in the place of the Israelites, daring to believe in redemption (Ex. 4:30) only to find out that things get worse than they have ever been before (Ex. 5). What would that have been like? What would you have thought or felt? Can you relate to this from your own story?
2. Where in your life do you sometimes experience despair or utter loss of hope? What behaviors does that lead to?
3. Moses obeyed everything God said and as a direct result of his obedience, things go really bad for everyone. Does that make sense to you? Why or why not?
4. Read Moses’ prayer (Ex. 5:22-23). What strikes you about it? What do your cries sound like and to whom do you cry out?
5. What encourages you about how God responds to Moses and Israel (Ex. 6:1-9)?