That stats are devastating. Research indicates that 1-in-4 women and 1-in-8 men are sexually abused before the age of 18. In other words, if sexual abuse isn’t a part of your own story, it’s likely to be a part of the story of someone you know. Unfortunately, as common as this horrific experience may be, it’s often left unaddressed or dealt with poorly.
Thankfully, our friends at Chelten Church in Dresher, PA are hosting The Change Seminar in an effort to break the silence against sexual abuse and to provide people with gospel-centered hope and insight on this terrible reality.
Whether you’re a victim yourself or your looking to be equipped to help others who may have experienced abuse, I want to invite you to join me for this seminar:
Friday, October 31st 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Saturday, November 1st 8:00am – 1:30pm
1:00pm – 3:30pm: Making churches safe for trauma survivors: Promoting Counselor-Church Connections – Dr. Phil Monroe
Dr. Monroe’s lecture will help you:
- Identify the common struggles of trama survivors in faith communities.
- Identify three ways to make churches safer for trauma survivors.
- Learn effective trauma healing support techniques.
3:45pm – 4:00pm: Questions & Answers
4:00pm: Seminar Ends
8:00am: Networking over coffee and new registrations
8:30am – 12:00pm: The UnMarked Marriage – Mary and Patrick DeMuth
The DeMuth’s Seminar will help you to:
- Understand the unique difficulties a spouse of a sexual abuse victim faces.
- Discover 5 truths needed to recover and heal from past sexual abuse.
- Learn how to create an environment of trust and safety for sexual abuse victims to heal.
- Discern a healthy theology of marriage and discern between passive and domineering coping mechanisms.
- See how facing the past story, living the present story, and anticipating the future story will contribute to teh overall health of a sexual abuse victim.
- Uncover 7 ways a proactive marriage can help sexual abuse survivors thrive today.
12:00pm – 12:45pm: Church Communities as a help or hindrance: Gendered Perspective by Survivors
12:45pm – 1:15pm: Educating Churches and Parents – Carolyn Ruch, Founder of Rise and Shine Movement
1:15pm – 1:30pm: Support Groups: Mosaic Model – Becky Vasso, MS and Coordinator of Small Groups at Chelten.
1:30pm: Closing questions and Seminar ends
Photo Credit: Trudy Metzger