But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:17-18)
As the nation continues to engage in intense conversation regarding immigration and the state of refugees in our country and around the world, it can be difficult to know how to respond. The issues seem massive and there seems to be very little that can be done to cause change. Whatever your position, one thing we can all agree on is that we are called to love God and love our neighbor. Well, thankfully, there are many organizations locally and abroad that are serving refugees in their needs. And so, Seven Mile Road, we indeed have an opportunity to love and help refugees.
So let us not simply love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. Here are some ways for us to give of our time and resources to refugees locally and abroad:
- GROW Northeast | GROW Northeast, a ministry of Northeast Community Church, is proud to serve its growing international community through a fun and effective ESL program for adults, helping our neighbors and friends to become more proficient in the English language and be prepared for U.S. citizenship.
- Bethany Christian Services | Bethany’s resettlement program within the United States works in collaboration with local churches, volunteers, and service providers to ensure refugee families a safe and smooth transition into their new homes.
- Nationalities Service Center | NSC provides comprehensive services to immigrants and refugees, including legal protections, community integration, access to health and wellness services, and opportunities to achieve English language proficiency.
- HIAS Pennsylvania | Refugees being resettled in Philadelphia are unfamiliar with local culture and practices. Through cultural and other kinds of orientations, as well as workshops, HIAS Pennsylvania provides refugees with the knowledge and skills that they will need to become an integrated and vital part of their neighborhoods and the greater community of Philadelphia. Orientations include: culture; personal and housing safety; financial literacy; transportation; weatherization and preparing for winter; geography of neighborhood and city; US money; emergency services and procedures; and American norms of personal interaction.
Around the World
- Preemptive Love | Preemptive Love is a global community of peacemakers remaking the world by providing lifesaving heart surgeries for children, food and shelter for those persecuted by extremists, education for at-risk children, and small-business empowerment grants so people can put their own lives back together.
- International Rescue Committee | The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster.
- Doctors Without Borders | Doctors Without Borders helps people worldwide by delivering emergency medical aid to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care.
- World Vision | World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization dedicated to working with children, families, and their communities worldwide to reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice.